Homemade Hardware: Week One

Alrighty! So future me, we’re gonna talk about programming an ATtiny chip, and making it work with a pot and slider! (You’ve probably done this a lot by now, but hey, it doesn’t hurt to look back!) So we got ourselves an ATtiny85: You tried the ATmega328 and all it gave you is disappointment. (You…

PComp: Final Post

So here is the final circuit. Ideally to get it any small would mean an custom board, which can be revisited next semester with my classes at least. After some feedback, people have insisted perhaps making two sets of design and having the person building or purchasing the design chose what they like. My intention…

Fab Week 7: Motor Mounts

…Or lack thereof. But not intentionally so! So here’s my rad “robot” kit. The Scribbler. Cool, right? I mean if Maker Faire liked it to be Editor’s and Educator’s choice, it’s gotta be good! …But the crux. I purchased a DC/Stepper mount for this guy but the head of the motor wouldn’t fit through the…

So this week’s project was little less technical and more artsy fartsy with a mosaic, working with glass, grout, and wood instead of my usual cardboard prototyping. Started with a basic base to mount the glass, ArtDeco black satin enamel paint (the sort you’d usually use to decorate walls and furniture), and my new favorite…

PComp Final: Debugging!

A short update. The code and circuit work, a setback with the Trinket has led me to switch with the Arduino Pro Mini, which has also led it to its own share of uploading issues, which after much testing and re testing and scouring the internet for fixes, I have the solution! First, the FTDI…

ICM Final: The Complete deal!

I should be be sleeping as I write this but hey, it’s one less thing off my plate! After many offices hours and staring glazed-eye at the screen many a late night, hoping the code will just will itself to on to the screen (or work for that matter), it is done! So we all…

Fabrication Week 4: Enclosures

I’m going to start off with my takeaway — I know it breaks form, but I am so beyond done with this project, I just want to get the main takeaway before the mess.  Trying to get the right size is hard for outside components. The digital caliper can only do so much. Honestly If…

PComp Final: BoM/Timeline

Now that we have down what the design will be, I can try to get a Bill of Materials made! It may not be exact and things are subject to change after the future iterations but here is what I am using for now. Link to the Google Sheets Doc And here is rough Timeline:…

PComp Final: Secondary feedback and moving forward!

So after much trial and error and lots and lots of discussion, I’ve decided to  keep it the 3 LEDs and style the pendant like a stop light. That being said, my next stop was to get a breadboard going with all the components to start the code and debug from there! So first was…

Fabrication Week 3: Revisiting The Holocron!

This week’s focus is the laser cutter– which I’m excited to try out. For this project, I thought to revisit my holocron” flashlight” from the first week. I think the design would be nicely done with the cutter. So I downloaded the template for the 50W cutter, and the intent is to make the Mark…